Too Much Sugar
The problem with most coleslaw recipes is the sugar content. If you’re on a High Fat-Low Carb diet, you’ll get the Keto Kick for sure. The only added sugar in this one is a teaspoon of honey, that’s only 6 grams of added carbs. The charring of the vegetables adds sweetness without added sugar. Give my Grilled Keto Coleslaw a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Bring the Heat
One of the secrets, of making a great grilled coleslaw, is high heat. This enables us to get a good char, on the cabbage and onions, without cooking them through. If you use lower heat, you’ll get a big pile of cooked cabbage, good for corned beef, not so great for coleslaw.
One note on mayonnaise, when you’re shopping for this stuff, make sure you buy a Primal, Keto friendly Mayo. The Primal Kitchen brand or Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo. If you want to spice things up, try one of the flavored varieties, like black garlic, or chipotle lime. Better yet, make your own.
This slaw only has few ingredients, it’s super easy, so let’s get cooking!
- 1/3 cup of real apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon local raw honey
- 1 small head of cabbage halved or quartered (depends on how much of a charred flavor you want and leave the core in, so it will not fall apart on the grill)
- ½ medium red onion (halved lengthwise, with the root attached, so it will stay intact on the grill)
- A handful of shredded carrots (about a cup)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise (depending on how thick or thin you want the dressing)
- Two cloves garlic smashed and chopped
- 6 strips of bacon crumbled with all of the dripping from the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-Heat your grill to high, you want your grill scorching hot. Grill the cabbage halves or quarters, and onion half to get a good char without cooking them too much. After charring the cabbage and onion remove them from the heat and set them aside. Now go get a steak, or some burgers, who wants to waste good burning charcoal.
In a large stainless-steel bowl pour in the apple cider vinegar and honey. Stir until the honey is dissolved. Now add the garlic, mayo, bacon crumbles and pan drippings to the bowl. Stir until well mixed. Set aside and start shredding
Now time to shred. Remove the cabbage core, and slice it thinly about 1/8”. Slice the onion thinly as well about a 1/8”. Shred the carrots, with a food processor, or just buy them pre-shredded, that’s what I do.
Put it all Together
Now just add the vegetables to a stainless-steel bowl with the dressing, and give it a toss. Taste it for salt and pepper (I usually give it a few grinds of pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt ). That’s it and remember, just like all coleslaw, it tastes better the next day. Give this Keto Coleslaw a try, let me know how it turns out, and don’t forget those steaks you put on the grill.